Unit 1 Reflection
I
feel as though the materials that I chose provide a diverse set of genres to
create a strong set of sources to use for this project and potentially for our
future projects. The first source that was used was given to us, Pencils to
Pixels, was written by a college professor and published by the University of
Illinois. This author revolves his text around the second line, which reads, “the computer revolution came long ago, and it has
left its mark on the way we do things with words,” (Baron 1). He revolves his
ideas around how writing has evolved literally, as he titled it, from pencils
to pixels. My next source, “Writing, Technology and Teens” is an article that
focusses on teens’ use of technology. The impending statistic in this article
is that, “93% of teens say they write for their own
pleasure,” (Lenhart, Arafeh, Macgill 1). This article is able to show the
reader that writing for pleasure is able to include texts, emails, social media
posts etc. This is critical because most teens don’t really believe that this
is writing when in fact it is. They are practicing their writing skills,
whether the habits be good or bad, in every text that they send. Additionally,
the third source, “Writing in the Digital Age,” looks at the way elementary
school aged children interact with technology in the classroom through a video
with supportive text. The video flashes the words; “create,” “design,”
“explore,” “imagine,” “explain,” and “investigate” and “write.” All of these
words have the common theme of what technology gives them and in my opinion
“write” is the most essential. Lastly, my fourth source, “Facebook’s ‘Parent
Conversations’ has Experts Weigh in on Kids and Social Media,”is a blog that is
a place for professionals such as doctors, psychologists and teachers to weigh
in on their thoughts of social media. This is an aid for parents of kids of all
ages to have a guide and platform for advice on how social media is affecting
their children. The reason for this is that, “Facebook believes that the best way to keep
kids safe online is to give parents more information and control,” (David 1).
This source definitely is able to gain mass credibility as it is a place for
parents to go. All of these sources revolve their ideas around the
revolution of technology and writing which is why I feel they all have high
quality as sources. Specifically, some of them hone in on how the growth isn’t
just in technology, but how technology accompanies the growth of kids in this
generation. The three sources that I chose in addition to the one provided I
feel confident in the material they are providing me as supported by the short
explanations and citations used above.
The use of technology enhanced by project because
technology was used in finding every single one of my sources as they were all
found online. Sources one and two were your basic online article and published
essays. Sources three and four were able to take advantage more of technology
itself. The video that I used in source three was really helpful because
technology was able to give me a visual representation of this source. This was
able to make it more powerful as you can see the children in the video
interacting in the classroom to emphasize the importance of the message. The
blog I thought was a great use of technology because its explaining how parents
are coming together with professionals on a social media platform (Facebook) to
be able to share concerns as parents and the professionals can ease some of
those for them. This is a prime example of writing and technology all across
the board and showing it even being utilized.
With the
common theme of my sources being how this generation (children and teens) utilize
technology for writing, I feel they provide a solid basis for the sources that I
will build off of. Therefore, I feel since they all follow a common theme and
are stem from different genres they are good quality sources. Additionally,
they all come from reputable places. The only hole that I notice is the attention
to college students’ use of technology. I included sources referencing teens
and kids but not the early 20’s college student mold that is so critical. I
feel this is definitely a hole that I could fill to cover more information to
make future arguments stronger as technology is also so present in a college
classroom. Since I am a college student it would be a great place for my own
research.
As far as
unit two goes I could definitely use these sources. As mentioned before my
sources follow a theme and that is a great way to set me up to make a thesis
and support it in a persuasive manor. Lastly, for unit three, my video from my
source three instantly comes to mind and I know I could definitely potentially
use it. I am thinking along the lines of including clips of the video itself
into whichever medium I end up choosing. It seems as though it would flow seamlessly
with what the prompt is asking in terms of integrating media, which this source
has.
Your unit 1 reflection was thoughtful and gave insight on why you chose the sources you did and how each one worked with your source analysis.
ReplyDelete