Unit 2 Reflection
The effects of technology in our
youth is a very controversial and pertinent topic currently. People are often
wondering which side to take or what is best for either themselves, their
family members, their friends, their children or their students. I didn’t want
to make my research paper solely for just one of those categories. With that
being said I made my audience anyone who is struggling with deciding whether or
not technology is beneficial to the lives of children or overall a hindrance to
their development or futures. I made the rhetorical choice to just come out and
say who my audience is right off the bat in my paper. In paragraph one I wrote,
“With this,
there is a constant debate of whether or not technology is hindering children
or helping them. This is a space to educate all of the people that are not sure
of the effects of technology on our youth because it is such a prominent issue.”
This allows the reader right away to know if this is something that speaks to
them and if they want to continue reading right away, playing no games. Supporting
this I brought my audience back around in the end of my last paragraph to
remind them why they started reading in the first place followed by a powerful
call to action. I wrote, “For those who were reading this seeking information
and guidance on the effects of technology in our youth, it has clearly been
illustrated that our children are going to be okay when they grow up and enter
the real world. It is essential that we realize this and come to accept it sooner than later so that we can give Generation Z and all the future generations the best possible skills to succeed. In the end there will always be a technology battle, but it is clear that those who prepare themselves best will have the tools to win the battle." I feel it may have been a bit of a risk to come out and say it in this
way, which is something I have never done before, but I wanted it to be
powerful, straight forward and thought provoking.
My
topic in unit one was the effects of technology in students in the classroom. I
continued with this idea but expanded by creating a discussion about where young
children would be affected in the future by this technology use being
implemented (ultimately in the workforce). My whole paper is a discussion about
the ways in which technology is being used and how kids will turn out and
function in the workforce as a result of this usage. I covered effects in
classroom performance, ability to adjust to the rapidly changing technological
advances, texting and communication skills allowing for alternate arguments and
points of view throughout but ultimately proving my side of how technology is beneficial
to young children. Further research needs to be done once Generation Z has
graduated college and entered the workforce. Once this happens there will be
concrete evidence on job and employment and success statistics that will
further support my case or even prove me wrong. My sources all varied from
videos, articles and blogs. I found them all to be credible during my research.
I feel my source repertoire could be expanded by potentially adding an
interview with someone. This could be either a parent, a student from
Generation Z, a teacher or a hiring company representative. Looking back I feel
it could have added a bit more to the paper making it even more credible and
even relatable.
For
my pitch homework I posted on Facebook. I wanted to pose some sort of lingering
question for people to think about and reflect on as a way to catch attention. I
got three likes on this post and no comments. I feel there was a possibility
that it did not get much engagement because some people may have thought I was
hacked. I rarely post on Facebook and people know that. It is common when
abnormal activity occurs on social media most people just ignore it. I don’t mind
that I didn’t get engagement. I hope however that people did read it and think
about it because I do believe that it is an interesting topic that should be
explored.
I could
apply my research methods from this project to my other classes quite easily
and happily. This assignment has shown me the value of varying the types of
sources I use. No one wants to read 8 articles and pick through them all to
find the best information for an assignment. As I learned in this assignment
(adding from unit 1 as well) I really enjoyed watching different videos and
reading different blogs to better support my ideas. As I stated before I had
the idea to use an interview in an assignment and I will certainly do so in the
future whether it be for unit 3 or a different class. Using different types of
sources not only is more interesting for the reader but more interesting for me
as the writer. I feel as though if the writer is fully evolved and immersed in
their topic then the writing is that much stronger.
Comments
Post a Comment